The Koopmans-De Wet House in Cape Town is, as far as is known, the first private townhouse in South Africa to be opened to the public. The house was opened as a museum on 10 March 1914. Dating from the early eighteenth century, this museum is furnished as a lived-in house of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. It has a superb collection of Cape furniture, Chinese and Japanese ceramics, Dutch Delft, paintings, glass and silverware. The facade is attributed to the architect Louis Thibault and sculptor Anton Anreith. The house has interior decorative wall paintings and one of the country’s oldest vines in the small courtyard.
For more information, visit www.iziko.org.za/koopmans